It takes 24 trees to make 1 ton of uncoated virgin (non-recycled) office paper. In other words, 1 tree makes 16.67 reams of paper, or 1 ream = 6% of one tree. This adds up quickly! Here are a few things you can do in the office to have a direct impact on the forest:
* Choose recycled paper. When you choose 30% postconsumer content paper, you save 7.2 trees per ton. When you choose 50% postconsumer content paper, you save 12 trees per ton.
* Add a “Please think before you print this email” tag to your email signature.
* Edit documents on screen before printing.
* Post memos in a centralized place or by email, rather than delivering to each desk.
* Set up an online application process for job candidates and/or invite resumes by email only.
* Reformat or eliminate fax cover sheets.
* Save online receipts as PDFs, rather than printing them out and putting them in a physical folder.
Facts gathered from Conservatree.org and greenbiz.com